Monday, March 26, 2012

Chickety Chicken Salad

This is the first time I've made chicken salad and it's not something I really grew up with. The first time I ate chicken salad was in 2009 when a co-worker brought some in for potluck. He brought chicken salad from the Willow Tree Farm in Attleboro, MA and it was delicious. I decided to make some because there was boiled chicken in the fridge and no one knew who made it or how it got there. I calculated the points in WW recipe builder to make sure I stick to my plan.

Just for the Chicken Salad
Ingredients:
  • 10 oz of boiled or baked boneless, skinless, chicken
  • 8 tbsp of reduced fat mayo (I used Kraft's Olive Oil Mayo)
  • 1 or 2 medium scallions/chives/wild onion they all seem to be somewhat the same thing
Directions:
  • Bring a pot of water to a boil and boil chicken till cooked, usually 15-20 minutes
  • If baking chicken coat a Pyrex dish with cooking spray (0 Points) and bake chicken on 350 degrees for about 30-45 minutes
  • Then you can either cut or shred your chicken into small edible pieces
  • Add 8 tbsps of reduced fat mayo
  • Salt and Pepper just to taste
  • Cut the 1 or 2 medium scallions/chives/wild onion into smaller pieces ( I actually just use kitchen scissors and cut it over the bowl, it's quicker in my opinion)
  • Then stir all the ingredients together until all the chicken is coated with mayo evenly
Servings: 10 for 1 oz WW points: 2 points

My plate of veggies ready for the sandwich
                5 for 2 oz  WW points: 5 points

Now you can do the servings 2 different ways either 1 oz or 2 oz it depends on how many points you want to use. I personally did 2 ozs because I wanted a lot of chicken salad. What I did with my chicken salad is I created a sandwich. I know some people eat it plain, but I prefer it in a sandwich. I also chose a lot of 0 point items to put into the sandwich so I can eat more items, but not increase my points...obviously :)



Chicken Salad Sandwich

Ingredients:
  • 1/8 of a red onion: 0 points
  • 1/2 a cup of 50/50 salad mix: 0 points
  • 4 slices of a plum tomato: 0 points
  • 5 slices of English cucumber: 0 points
  • 2 slices of Kroger brand light wheat bread toasted or not depending on your preference: 2 points
Assembly required
This totaled to 7 points for lunch. You can use any leafy green, onion, tomato, or cucumber because most are 0 points just make sure you double check your WW guides for point calculations.

Since, my lunch was so filling I didn't really need to eat another snack with it. If you find that one sandwich is not enough I would eat 10 baby carrots on the side with 2 tbsps of hummus. The hummus I use is the Athenos brand of roasted garlic and for 2 tbsps its only 1 point.

Leaning tower of chicken salad


No comments:

Post a Comment