Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Journey of becoming Fatty Fatty Fatkins

Me and my Mom, I'm about 2 and clearly not chubby
6(ish) and still skinny
When I was born I weighed 5 pounds and was always a very small child. Growing up I was never called the chubby kid. I was made fun of for other reasons like my Dumbo ears or skin color.

I became aware of weight in middle school when the kids started talking about diets and fattiness. This was never really my concern because I was around 95 pounds in 6th grade.  The summer before 8th grade came along and I gained a whopping 20 pounds, I was a fat cow at 115 (or so I thought). Obviously, I wasn't even remotely fat, but I thought so. I started exercising during commercial breaks when I watched TV. I dropped down to 100 in about 2 months.
14 summer before sophomore year



Senior Prom, 98 pounds











I was lucky my weight was never a struggle for me in high school. I would worry about clothes fitting sometimes, but that was more or less because I was short. I averaged around a size 0 or 2 and usually weighed less than 115. I jokingly used to say, I wish I was fat just so I could see what it would be like. Be careful what you wish for!
Ballroom dancing comps kept me skinny


While some of my peers struggled with their weight I just ate what I wanted and never exercised. Around junior year I started taking dance classes and toyed with joining our cross country team because my friends wanted me to. I started losing more weight and I was 98 pounds when I graduated high school. I could fit into a size 16 kids at the age of 17. Then college came around...




High School Graduation w/Dad and Mom
Instead of gaining the "Freshman 15" I gained the Freshman 32 and was 135 pounds. For the next four years my weight would bounce from 140 to 120. When I would actually start running and pay more careful attention to what I ate I could lose the weight.
At a HUGE 135 w/ my cousin Bobby


At 165 w/ my cousin Freddie
















My husband and I started dating in 2004 and my weight went uphill from there. It was like every year I would just gain 20lbs and couldn't stop. I would get to 150 and think I can't get any bigger, but then at the end of the year I would weigh 170.

My husband Tim and I in 2007 @ 175
It wasn't as if I was on a weight roller coaster because you usually come down, I kept going up and up. I'll see pictures of myself at 135 and remember how miserable I was because I thought I was HUGE. It didn't help that during that time certain family members were already calling me fat and continue doing so.

Our Wedding 2008 @ 185
 I just want to say; telling someone they're fat usually doesn't make them aware of the problem. Chances are they own a mirror and can see that for themselves. I find that when you tell me I'm fat that doesn't really motivate me to lose the weight it just makes me want to punch you in face. This doesn’t help me lose the weight and makes you an asshole in my mind.


Finally a reason to be fat, I'm pregnant! January 2010





I have tried to count calories and put myself on an exercise regimen, but then something will waylay me and I can't get back on track. I'll lose 15, get sidetracked, gain it back, and start all over again.


My friends are happy because I make them look skinnier! August 2011


I've finally come to the decision that I'm going to push myself off the top of the roller coaster and try to plummet down. I hate getting out of breath when I go to check the mail. I can't stand looking at myself in pictures and not recognizing the Big Bertha in the corner.

At our friend's wedding August 2011

I joined Weight Watchers 4 days ago and so far I've lost 3 pounds. I hope that I can finally stay on track this time because type 2 diabetes and heart disease aren't something I'm looking forward to. While searching the Internet I have found some good blogs that share low calorie recipes. My favorite recipes blog is Emily Bites she posts recipes and tells you what the points are for Weight Watchers. Her recipes are delicious and I love trying them out, so far every recipe I've tried has been outstanding. Inspired by her recipes I'm going to post my first WW recipe after this post.


To get myself more motivated I look at these pictures to see what I have become. Looking at a timeline of fatness puts things into perspective. It's even worse when I show people my pre-fat pics and they say is that your sister? Um no, just pre-fat me.



All I want for Christmas is you...weight loss Christmas 2011
In the past I'll look at a picture of myself at that current weight and think, "It can't get worse than this." Then the following year I'll have gained more weight and view that same picture in envy wishing I was still that weight.



Hopefully, I won't be envying this picture next year. Instead I'll be thinking, "Damn girl, you lost a lot of weight since then."




4 comments:

  1. I have had the same problem my whole life Lilia. Although i was never skinny. Except for a couple years in the high school days where i lost a bunch of weight and then gained it all back and then some. I am here and will offer you any support that you need. Weight watchers has helped a lot of people and does work. Keep up the good work!!! One word of advice. Get off the scale everyday!!!!!! Just weight yourself once a week. Amanda C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support! It's so hard being chubby when you used to be skinny, how's your weight loss going? Last I checked you had lost 40lbs right? I hope I can say that one day and continue to keep the ball rolling. Its hard not to step on that scale everyday lol. I can't help it! I'm supposed to weigh myself every Sunday for ww. I'll try to keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try to be persistent

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the problem is sticking with it. I got to learn that and I should be good to go.

    ReplyDelete