Sunday, May 6, 2012

Mushroom Lasagna

I was watching the Barefoot Contessa one day and she made a portobello mushroom lasagna. I love lasagna and finding different ways of making it always appeals to me. She, of course, used a lot of heavy ingredients so I decided to make it a little bit lighter since I'm doing Weight Watchers. I also added onions and used pecorino romano cheese because I didn't have any parmesan cheese on hand. Instead of using traditional lasagna shells that you have to cook first; I used no boil lasagna shells because it's quicker.



Ingredients:
  • Pre-heat oven to 375
  • 28 ounces of mushrooms (I used regular button mushrooms and portobello mushrooms)
  • 4 cups skim milk
  • 1 medium sized onion
  • 9 tbsps light butter
  • 1/2 cup all purpose white flour
  • 16 no boil lasagna shells (I used the Barilla brand)
  • 1/2 a cup of pecorino romano cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 5 cloves of garlic
  • Non-stick cooking spray
Instructions:
  • In a sauce pan add the milk and let it simmer be careful not to let it burn stir occasionally
  • Cut the mushrooms and onion (you can remove the stems and just use the tops I use the stems)
  • Spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray, add 1 tbsp of light butter, then add mushrooms and onions, add a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper
  • While that's cooking add 8 tablespoons of light butter into a sauce pan, once that's melted add garlic, then add the flour
  • Stir the butter, garlic, and flour, then add the milk keep stirring to remove the lumps, (I use a whisk to stir) keep stirring till sauce thickens. Once the sauce has a thick creamy consistency remove from burner.
  • Set up a lasagna making station I do sauce to the left, then mushrooms/onions, then cheese then right  next to my right hand I put the shells
  • Put down a layer of sauce, then three shells horizontally,then another layer of sauce, mushrooms/onions, sprinkle cheese, then put another layer of shells and repeat till done
  • On the top layer I add sauce and the remaining cheese
  • Then spray one side of aluminium foil with non-stick cooking spray, cover the lasagna, put into the oven cook for 50-60 minutes
*You actually end up using only half of the sauce I put that on the table so you can add more sauce once the lasagna is cooked.

Serving size 6 pieces at 6 WW points per piece



I always add broccoli because it's zero points and I don't mind eating it plain. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment