Friday, June 1, 2012

There's something to be said about "3rd world" baby care


Avert your eyes from the "gross" photo
I feel that in America as we became a more developed nation we threw away old methods and practices in child care. We labelled them barbaric, uncouth, unseemly, and in doing so we disregarded great methods of childcare. When formula came around breastfeeding became "gross" and we dismissed the benefits to become a more "civilized" culture. I personally don't care how you decide to feed your child, but don't judge my choices. I got a lot of negative comments in my choice to breastfeed and personally I think it's ridiculous. I've heard how aggressive breast feeders are in their quest to make everyone breast feed, but pro-bottlers can be jerks too. I think there are jerks on both sides of the argument, but how about we agree to let everyone make their own choices? I won't comment on your bottle feeding and you don't comment on my breastfeeding.

Here are two articles that explain the benefits from both sides of the spectrum. One is an article from a surgeon general's view point who is very pro-breastfeeding. This article titled I formula fed so what explains the benefits of  a pro-bottle feeding approach. Whatever you chose to do, be comfortable with that choice. Don't try to ridicule someone else because they went down a different path. I do have a bone to pick with religious people that say breastfeeding is unnatural and disgusting. Guess what, YOU just called God unnatural and disgusting you hypocrite. Who made the human body? Who made it so that breasts develop milk for your children? It surely wasn't Satan so stop trying to pretend God had nothing to do with it. It just really irritates me when religious people critique something that God designed and made. If you love God so much stop insulting his work.

So freaking cute!
In less developed parts of the world baby wearing is something that most mothers practice. It's something that has found a resurgence here in America and they are many types of slings to chose from. When Logan was born there were recalls of baby carriers because of infant related deaths. Everyone called me and told me to make sure my sling wasn't one of them. It wasn't, I have this annoying habit of reading and researching before I buy something. 


Baby Bjorn

I really wanted to practice baby wearing because it looked practical and made sense. First I used a Baby Bjorn because I bought one off of a friend. He and his family liked using it. It also wasn't part of the recall. Baby Bjorn's I feel I are the most well-known of the baby carriers. I remember seeing a lot of celebrities being photographed with it and seeing it in movies.You can find it easily in Babies R Us or other stores. It was very easy to use and figure out. You could have the baby forward facing or facing towards you. Logan liked being in it which is obviously one of the more important factors. If your kid doesn't want to be in it then move onto to anther carrier. Tim and I liked using it the only problem was it killed your back. We could only wear it for a short periods of time. Afterwards, we would have to stretch to get our backs to feel slightly normal again.



La di da
Moby Sling in turquoise
I then decided to get a sling because I saw other moms using it and I thought it might be better for our backs. I was scared of trying to get a wrap because it seemed too complex. One of my friends used a Moby Sling. It looked comfortable, but it took her five minutes to wrap the baby in it. She wore it to a fair all day and didn't complain once. Her baby liked it too he didn't cry or try to get out of it. It's hard for me to read instructions. I physically need someone to step by step show me how to do it (in person). I didn't know about the store Bellani in Warwick, RI, where I could have gotten a sling/wrap demonstration. They actually have baby carrier rentals now so if you wanted to try one out before buying it's a great idea. I wish they had it when I was trying to figure out sling options.The only complaint I've heard about Moby wraps is that they stretch out. They are cute and I think if you can figure out how to use it, then it's a good choice.
Tim hotslinging it at the beach

I decided to use a hotsling because it looked easy and the reviews looked promising. It wasn't bad at first and it was easier on our backs.

It was hard for me being a fatty boom batty to use it. I think if I was thinner it would have been easier for me to use. It does come in different sizes depending on your weight, but it was awkward at times.Tim had no problems using it. He liked it better than the Baby Bjorn. It was easy to wash and we took it everywhere. It didn't take up much space in the diaper bag.


Logan loves the sling!
The bigger that Logan got the harder it was to keep him in it. He didn't mind it, but he wasn't too thrilled with it either. If his mother weren't so fat maybe he would have found it easier lol.

I then decided to get the Beco Baby Carrier (Gemini). I saw that you could sling the child in four different positions and I was hooked! I wanted to be able to go for walks with Logan and not severely strain my back.


He loves the Beco Baby Carrier!
When I finally got the carrier I tried it out for a 30 minute walk and I could barely feel it. My back didn't hurt for one second. The longest I've walked with Logan is an hour and a half and my back felt fine. I've gone uphill, downhill, winding roads, and I've never had a problem. I've walked in the blazing Georgia heat and Logan is the only one who has an issue. He's not a fan of being that close to my soaked back lol. He tries to pull himself away, but eventually he just deals with it. Logan falls asleep in this carrier sometimes within a matter of minutes.

Great for running from zombies!

The Beco Baby Gemini Carrier has been the best so far. I would highly recommend this to any family that wants to practice baby wearing. There are some amazing benefits to baby wearing and I feel that it's something that every family should explore and see if it's an option.There are many animals that practice baby wearing, click on the link to see some adorable baby animals pics. Check out this website it gives 10 reasons why baby wearing can be a good thing.

I think advancing as a society can be beneficial. We have found cures for diseases, some diseases aren't quite the death sentence they use to be, the technology we have to day is amazing. However, we must not forget what got us to this place. We can't turn our back on all old traditions because sometimes they are more useful than what we currently have in place.





No comments:

Post a Comment